Thursday, March 01, 2007

Thoughts from Blue Chair


I've been looking at Jewish betrothal customs and Hebrew wedding traditions in hopes of learning more about John 2. My heart was pierced tonight as I read through the list of things that happened when a couple was to be joined in marriage, so much so that I thought I would share it with you.

1. The bride was usually chosen by the father of the bridegroom
2. The price for the bride was established
3. The bride and groom were betrothed to eachother
4. A written document was drawn up (marriage document)
5. The bride must give her consent
6. Gifts were given to the bride and a cup called the cup of the covenant was shared between the bride and groom
7. The bride was immersed in water which is a ritual cleansing
8. The bridegroom departed, going back to his father's house to prepare the bridal chamber
9. The bride was consecrated, set apart for a period of time while the bridegroom was away building the house
10. The Bridegroom WOULD RETURN with a shout and the shofar was blown
11. He would come and take the Bride away, usually in the middle of the night for the marriage to be consummated
12. There would be a marriage supper for all the guests invited by the father of the bride

Even though the Bridegroom pays for her the bride still must give her consent, after he pays for her, after the he has paid the price for her, after she is rightfully his she still can turn him down, she still can say no because he wants her to love him. He wants her to love Him. He wants her to love Him.

6 Comments:

Blogger Fairing Well said...

That was great, thanks for sharing. I am going to print this out and send it to everyone here at the Cincinnati House of Prayer.

1:02 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Oh, this is just so beautiful it squeezes me heart. Thanks, Char!

11:03 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

And apparently my grammer is going down the tubes. :)

11:04 AM  
Blogger well,blue productions said...

@Midnight: I just love you, it don't care what your grammar is like

@Tracy: Google my friend, google...although it would be nice for me to say that I am reading something in the bookstore.

6:40 PM  
Blogger JoAnna said...

Hi. That is amazing. I will have to spread it around as well. Google is such a good friend... what exactly did you type in to get such a good find? Thanks for sharing. Every day I grow more in awe of Jesus, my Bridegroom God.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Thanks, Tracy...uh, I do have a bit of Irish in me family way back...

And, thanks, Char! I love you, too! :)

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home