Saturday, February 03, 2007

Where I come from that just ain't right...


Here at IHOP things happen fast. People fall in love quickly, they get married quickly and they have children quickly. However, this is not the case for everyone. I get asked if I am pregnant probably a minimum of twice a week. My parents have never even brought it up, Jesse's parents have never asked, every stand up comedian on the continent knows that this question is not one that should ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever didn't have enough evers memorized be asked. So, today my question is why do people here find it totally okay to ask?

Things to ponder:
-I've lost a little weight over the last few months and I'm really starting to feel good about and in my body, when someone asks me if I'm pregnant the first thing it does is shatter my self-confidence.
-It's a really REALLY personal thing, when it happens, we'll tell you.
-We're not ready. We're waiting, this concept seems foreign to some, but it's just the truth, we are. There is nothing wrong, we do want kids someday, but that day is very very far away.

So the next time that your inspired to ask a newly married person if they are pregnant try to reflect on what you would want if it was you or your wife. We do allot of things without thinking about how they make others feel to satisfy our own curiousities but I'm telling you, it doesn't do good things for the people your asking.

Good night, and good luck.

9 Comments:

Blogger Fairing Well said...

WOW, I have wanted to write this post for about 2 years....Thanks.

11:35 AM  
Blogger well,blue productions said...

You're welcome Scott. You are welcome.

6:45 PM  
Blogger well,blue productions said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:45 PM  
Blogger well,blue productions said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:45 PM  
Blogger well,blue productions said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:45 PM  
Blogger well,blue productions said...

Two things, first of all those 3 deleted comments weren't people standing up for those who constantly ask, well,blue just published one comment 4 times and we figured that you only needed to see it once.

Secondly, since I've posted this I've had two conversations on the topic and come up with two additional things to ponder. People miscarry babies and when asked if they're pregnant you maybe reminding them of their pain. Secondly, people try to get pregnant and can't and again you may only be reminding them of their pain. So all in all we can file this post once again under Mr. Skullhead's good idea, bad idea. Good idea, not asking someone if they're pregnant and making their day, bad idea, asking someone if they're pregnant and ruining it.

6:52 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Where's the applause button?! (and "they" don't stop after you've had one baby, either...)

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please keep repeating, "We are not ready." Much love, Ann

6:06 PM  
Blogger Chuck said...

Hey guys, my two cents for the collection bucket - Kim and I love to really throw 'em and say, "We love the scrimmage but aren't interested in the actual game..."

Sometimes they get it, sometimes they don't.

1:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home