Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Isaac


Did I ever tell you that we have a dog? I was realizing this evening as I was sitting here with him that I've never really spoken of him. Nights like this one make me extra mindful of his existence. You see Isaac, our 9 year old Beagle, is terrified of thunderstorms. He has kept us up for long nights, urinated all manner of places, tried to live in our closet and drooled directly into my mouth. Isaac has an interesting plethera of mannerisms when the clouds roll in. These storms generally occur as we are trying to sleep so the drama increases by a minimum of twenty points. Here is what to expect on one such occassion:

-Isaac feels the storm coming an hour before it gets here
-Nervously, he paces around our room
-At the first crack of thunder he is in between us
-At the second he is curled around my head nervously panting streams of drool onto my head, into my mouth and on my pillow
-Jesse and I kick Isaac of the bed
-Isaac paces around the room and tries to get into the closet
-Isaac pees in the closet
-Char gets real upset
-Char or Jesse takes Isaac outside at 3 am in the thunderstorm
-Char gets the dog bed, the cushion, the blanket, the monkey, the octopus and whatever else she thinks may help and then sets up camp on the floor of the bedroom next to Isaac
-Isaac wont lie down for more than 10 consecutive seconds
-Char gets back on the bed
-Isaac gets back on the bed
-Jesse kicks Isaac off of the bed
-Isaac gets back on the bed
-Char keeps Jesse from maiming Isaac
-Isaac manages to simultaneously drool on both of our faces (we don't know either)
-We collectively hurl Isaac across the room
-We feel real bad
-Isaac ends up sleeping on the bed in between us curled into a little ball of dog directly at the center of the bed

The next day: Isaac sleeps the entire day and we wish that we were beagles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home